Designed by renowned Irish architect and engineer Henry Deane Walsh, the hotel as it stands today was constructed in 1915 and, given its location perched proudly on the hill, was the tallest building in Sydney at the time.
The Hotel was the last port-of-call (and probably last beer) for the ANZACs before heading off on boats to Gallipoli from the surrounding ports, and then housed the workers who built the Sydney Harbour Bridge between 1923 and 1932. It remained open as a favourite watering-hole for locals until 2008 when it closed its doors to the public for a while, but not foreverâ€¦
In 2015, the building enjoyed a sweeping renovation, some parts were lovingly restored to their original glory, others were modernised and updated. The public house opened its doors for the first time in seven years in June 2015, in November 2015, rooftop cocktail lounge Henry Deane served its first martini. The hotel rooms were the last to be opened to the public in early 2016.
In the short space of time since opening, our hotel and collective venues combined have won a bevy of awards, and we are proud to have given new life to this handsome old pub.